Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation, Foreclosure, Personal Injury Attorney in Costa Mesa
Founded in 2009 by Julie J. Villalobos, OakTree Law is a firm specializing in many areas of litigation. Clients come to us in need of a bankruptcy or loan modification attorney to help relieve their financial distress. Fortunately, we are experienced in helping provide debt relief. Our Costa Mesa bankruptcy attorney works with you in gathering the right documents and exploring all options.
We offer many law services in Costa Mesa, including:
Bankruptcy Services in Costa Mesa
Our bankruptcy attorney in Costa Mesa can help if you are dealing with large amounts of debt, potential foreclosure, or garnishment of wages. Filing for bankruptcy can mitigate the damage debt can have, and is often a positive solution that helps regain control of your finances. We are experienced in the legal process and work to find the best solution for you.
Bankruptcy is more than just a way to escape the struggles of paying credit card debt. The social stigma of filing for bankruptcy is not what it once was. In fact, it can have several benefits, including:
- Stopping creditors from taking collection actions
- Restructuring/discharging debts
- Formulating a new payment plan
- Rebuilding your finances and credit
- A time-efficient court process
Our Costa Mesa bankruptcy lawyer can also negotiate with your lender once an “automatic stay” is placed on creditors’ actions (established once bankruptcy is filed). Our attorneys can also recommend options such as:
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy – Wipes out debt if you have no source of income or funds to pay off debts. Non-exempt assets are sold and you can often keep your home, furniture, clothing, or Social Security/Unemployment/Veteran’s/Disability benefits.
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy – Involves the reorganization of a corporation or partnership, but the business can still function. Creditors are paid over time. Chapter 11 bankruptcy can also be used to reorganize an individual’s debts and assets and alter the terms of a loan.
- Chapter 13 Bankruptcy – Enables you to set up a payment plan with creditors, provided you have a sustainable source of income. You can also establish a timeline to pay off unsecured debts on a budget, while creditor collections, wage garnishments, home foreclosure, and repossession are stopped.
- Chapter 20 Bankruptcy – The process of filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy comes after completing Chapter 7 bankruptcy. You could discharge unsecured debts with Chapter 7, and then catch up on mortgage payments or pay off other debts with Chapter 13. In some cases, it can be used for credit card debt, medical bills, and other unsecured debts.
Business & Civil Litigation Services
If you need a business or civil litigation attorney in Costa Mesa, we are here to help. Our team can handle a variety of legal matters in:
- Business Litigation – For business disputes not resolved through mediation, arbitration, or negotiation, with a focus on positive outcomes for clients.
- Breach of Contract – When one party does not abide by a contractual agreement; we can work to end the disagreement before it negatively affects your business.
- Partnership & Corporate Disputes – A serious dispute can hurt business, but our attorney work to resolve it or represent you in litigation.
- Construction – Design, financing, product liability, land use, or eminent domain disputes can arise, but our business litigation lawyers aim for fair settlements.
- Employment – Discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, and other workplace issues can be dealt with by an attorney familiar with California law.
- Insurance Bad Faith – When insurers short-change clients or deny claims, we provide representation, so clients get what they deserve out of claims.
- Real Estate – We have attorneys specialized in contract negotiations, corporate planning, eminent domain, evictions, closings, leasing, and landlord-tenant disputes.
- Intellectual Property – We can help protect your patented trade secrets, offer legal options if they’re stolen, and offer several types of relief.
- Theft of Trade Secrets – May involve unauthorized use of manufacturing processes, advertising strategies, software code, or industry-specific information.
- Misrepresentation and Fraud – Misrepresenting facts, which causes harm or monetary loss; we can seek punitive damages through litigation to punish the convicted and reimburse the plaintiff.
- Wrongful Termination – We represent employees fired for discriminatory reasons, ranging from sending a letter to an employer to taking them to court if necessary.
We can help you with a strategy to protect your assets after death or incapacitation. Our attorneys can work with you on wills, living trusts, advance health care directives, and durable power of attorney. By consulting with a Costa Mesa estate planning lawyer, you can save on income/death taxes, avoid the time and cost of a probate court, and select heirs and amounts of assets to be distributed to each. You can also select who to transfer your property to or set up a trust for a beneficiary.
If you can’t afford to pay a mortgage, are unable to modify it, or your home has lost too much value to sell, there are legal tools to address your situation. The threat of foreclosure means you could lose your home. Our Costa Mesa foreclosure attorney offers options to avoid a lawsuit and bankruptcy:
- Loan Modification – The bank permits a change in your mortgage terms, allowing a temporary or permanent reduction in monthly payments.
- Short Sale Negotiation – The lender agrees for the property to be sold for less than the loan amount; short sales give the homeowner more control.
- Mortgage Litigation – A foreclosure attorney can provide a defense that results in extended ownership, a loan modification or, in some cases, compensation.
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy – Can buy you additional time if facing foreclosure; a loan modification in conjunction may allot even more time to make important decisions.
In addition to filing bankruptcy and helping with estate planning or business litigation, we provide notary services for clients with important documents. We can notarize adoption, deed, child custody agreement, divorce or pre-nuptial agreement, affidavit, legal, medical, travel, and powers of attorney documents. Always consult a trusted law firm, as in California, online notarizations are neither binding nor legal.
A serious injury can mean a lengthy recovery, extended absence from work, and difficulty paying your bills. If the injury was caused by an event that wasn’t your fault, our Costa Mesa bankruptcy attorneys can establish a case, work to get you compensated, and hold the responsible party accountable for:
- Car accidents
- Slip & falls
- Medical Malpractice
- Truck Accidents
- Defective Products
- Dog Bites
- Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
After an accident, collect as much information as you can. Pictures and witness accounts are especially useful. The more details you provide us with, the more we can use to strengthen your case against an insurance company that tries to reduce or deny your claim.
Real Estate Law
Real estate transactions can be complex, but our attorneys are knowledgeable in many aspects of real estate law. Our Costa Mesa real estate attorneys offer tangible legal approaches in key areas such as contract negotiations, contract review, eminent domain, evictions, and corporate planning for real estate development. Whether there’s a purchase or sale of a property, real estate closing, or landlord-tenant dispute, our legal team can be on your side. Our specialties also extend to residential/commercial leasing and title review.
Call OakTree Law
Our trusted bankruptcy lawyer in Costa Mesa is just a phone call away. We are not just a respected firm and Orange County bankruptcy attorney; our team consists of litigators experienced in business and civil law, estate planning, foreclosure, personal injury, and real estate law. For a free case evaluation, call 562-219-2979 or fill out our online form today.